Today we interview commercial pilot and co-founder of OpenAirplane, Rod Rakic, to talk about his flight adventures in Civil Air Patrol. Everything from how we got started to working his way up the ranks to mission pilot. Rod also shares some really neat information about the organization itself like how you can participate and many of the different types of volunteer opportunities available, even for the non-pilot out there.
This interview with Rod is actually Part 1 of a 2 part series. Part 2 will release next as Episode 52 as we learn everything there is to know about OpenAirplane, especially how it’s going to revolutionize the aircraft rental industry as you know it. Good news is you’ll finally be able to rent an aircraft at any participating FBO in the country WITHOUT have to do any additional rental checkouts. Yea, it’s that awesome.
So grab a cold one and join us for Episode 51 sponsored by ForPilotsOnly.com.
Don’t forget to share this episode by clicking that Like, Share, Tweet button to spread the love!
- AirVenture – It’s almost that time of year where we all flock to Wisconsin for the biggest airshow in the world, EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh. Dates for the 2013 event are Monday July 29th through Sunday August 4th. You’ll be able to meet co-host Carl Valeri and Len Costa on various days so stay tuned for more information on their dates of attendance.
- NJ Balloon Festival – If you can’t make it to AirVenture we suggest you make your way to the 31st Annual QuickChek Ballon Festival at Solberg Airport, Readington, NJ from July 26th through July 28th.
- Favorite $100 Hamburger Joints – We’ve started an online discussion about favorite $100 hamburger joints and would love to hear from you. Tell us about your favorite spot be it the food, location, type of approach, etc. If you’ve got menu recommendations you can include those, too. Use #benburger to track the conversation on Twitter.
- Aviation Universe – Coming in Episode 51a, co-host Len Costa sits down with Lora Yowell and Richard Wells, owners of Aviation Universe pilot shop, to learn more about the store, their background in aviation, and even the best locations for plane spotting at Chicago O’Hare.
- Meet Rod Rakic
- Civil Air Patrol
- CAP Humitarian Missions
- CAP Search and Rescue
- Cessna 182
- GippsAero GA8 Airvan
- Pilots Roles at CAP
- CAP Volunteer Opportunities
- CAP Communication Infrastructure
- CAP Disaster Response
After Landing Checklist
~ Picks of The Week ~
No Picks of the Week were included in this interview episode.
This Episode Is Sponsored By
Virgin Galactic Space Flight Fund
Thanks for listening to the Stuck Mic AvCast, a listener supported aviation podcast. We love publishing and delivering useful content and information for everyone! Please show your support with a $5 or $10 donation today and maybe we could one day fly in space!
Subscribe to Our Enhanced Podcast Feed in iTunes
Subscribe to Our MP3 ONLY Podcast Feed
Direct your pod catcher to http://feeds.feedburner.com/StuckMicAvCastMP3
Or to subscribe to the MP3 feed in iTunes: