Podcast: Play in new window
Welcome to Episode 84. The goal of this podcast is to inform, entertain, and motivate you to achieve your career goal. We to bring you the viewpoint of all those involved with careers in aviation and aerospace. Although we primarily focus on the positive aspects of a career in aviation and specifically as an airline pilot we also know that we must represent the challenges of choosing a career in aviation.
To help you understand some of the challenges concerning salaries in the piloting career I have with me Ben Mandell author of Don't Pay Any Flight School More Than $2500 In Advance: The Censored Information The Bad Guys Don't Want You To Know and Pilots on food stamps: An Inside Look At Why Your Flight Was Cancelled.
You can find his book by clicking here or going to AviationCareersPodcast.com/foodstamps :
Ben and I discuss:
- Why You should not Pay more than $25000 in advance to a flight school.
- Scholarships to watch out for.
- Ways to save money on flight training.
- Why Flights are being cancelled.
- How pilots are paid.
- How the shortage of pilots is affecting salaries.
- How the shortage of pilots affects the Majors.
- Upgrading and Pay.
- What he feels is the solution.
Scholarship of the Week:
Buckingham Memorial Scholarship-Air Traffic Controller’s Association (ATCA)
Average Award for all ATCA scholarships $6454.54
The Buckingham Memorial Scholarships are awarded to children of Air Traffic Controller Specialists who are US Citizens and enrolled half- to full-time in a program leading to a bachelor's degree or higher.
Bureau Of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook - Airline and Commercial Pilots
Sun N Fun Radio on LiveATC.net
Alumni from these colleges (almost) always pay their debts
Podcast: Play in new window
We're back from Sun N Fun with Rick, Sean, and a special guest Larry Overstreet!
- We are coming up episode 100! We would like you to celebrate with us by sending in one of your 100th milestones in your aviation life such as 100th landing, 100th airport, or whatever you can come up with. Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or send them to our contact page.
- Larry is working on taking Sun N Fun Radio worldwide, and cover air show events at liveatc.net/snf and Chats from the Deck.
- The Aerospace Scholarships Guide 2015 is out on PDF right now, and soon will be on Kindle and iBooks.
- Larry will be at AirVenture in Oshkosh along with Victoria and Turbo.
Our main topic tonight will be an interview with Larry Overstreet. Larry discusses:
- His great story about how he got into aviation
- Building his own Sonex airplane in his basement with his family
- Flying gliders and the Soaring Society Of America.
- Larry recommended Hartford Airport (HXF) and Cub Air Flight near Oshkosh for refueling and getting a tailwheel endorsement
- IMC clubs for safer IFR pilots
Pick Of The Week:
Larry-Flight of Passage audio book by Rinker Buck, recounting a flight from New Jersey to Southern California
Carl-The Day I learned to Fly by Jeffrey Kennon
Sean & Rick- Apple Watch
After Landing Checklist:
Thanks to Larry for coming on. We will be having an email related show soon!