Podcast: Play in new window
In this episode we answer one question: What is the truth about the pilot shortage?
- Taking politics out of the pilot shortage equation.
- The truth about low starting wages in aviation and why I feel that will not change.
- Changing the name of the pilot shortage to a “limited supply of qualified pilots”.
- Career progression and expectations.
- Why over selling the pilot shortage will create dissatisfied pilots.
- How regulations will increase the requirements to fly for a Par 121
- How new regulations have produced this shortage.
- Why you should be careful who you listen to.
- Why the pilot shortage should not be driving your decision to become a pilot.
I just wanted to try to be the first to congratulate you on a podcast mile stone of your 50th episode.
I also wanted to let you know that I have taken the first step in my aviation career. I have 850 TotalTime, 150 Multi-engine time, and 150 instrument.I have just taken a job flying aerial survey flying the 206. Not quite up there with you yet but I think I’m now on the right track. I feel that we are lot a like I’m 34 starting my aviation career and If I remember correctly you were in your early to mid thirty’s as well.
Thanks again for your podcast and for it keeping me motivated. I have listened to the podcast from episode one. So you can also take credit for my new job in a small part. Thanks again for all your hard work and you should start looking for me in a cockpit near you.
Links Mentioned In This Podcast:
Eric Crump on Twitter : @SeeEricGo
Polk State College
Current and Future Availability of Airline Pilots : US Government Accountability Office
As Communities Lose Air Service, Regional Airlines Decry Flight-Hour Threshold for Pilots
World needs pilots! Record growth leads to record need
How miserly airlines created their own pilot shortage
The new ATP certification test may cost up to $15,000. How will these high costs impact the pool of ATPs available to the airlines?
Union Says Lack Of Pay And Respect Leading To Pilot Shortage
Podcast: Play in new window
And we’re back with episode 67 of your beloved Stuck Mic AvCast!
Recently in New Zealand, a pilot made a forced landing on a beach after experiencing an engine failure in flight. Once safely on the ground it was determined (details sketchy) that the engine was once again operational. A takeoff was attempted which led to the aircraft impacting the water and damaging the aircraft. Fortunately, both the pilot and passenger were unharmed. And we discuss some of the considerations you evaluate if you were to encounter similar circumstances.
Speaking of landings… With all the US news about airplanes landing at the wrong airports, we discuss some of our personal tips and tricks that we use every day to help minimize this risk and help identify your correct airport and runway. You’ll even hear about which co-host’s nearly landed at the wrong airport and how they were alerted of the error in progress.
So let’s get to it, shall we?
***Don’t forget to share this episode by clicking that Like, Share, Tweet button to spread the love!***
- Women of Aviation Worldwide Week is just around the corner. From March 3rd to March 9th, this week celebrates women and their accomplishments in aviation as well as exposing more women to the love of flight. Our very own Victoria Zajko is hard at work as always and we wish her a successful event this year.
- From CNN we bring you an article on the 14 Best Aviation Museums around the world. Turns out we’ve been a quite a few of them and look forward to checking out some new ones in our travels.
- Also coming up this month is the March Field Airfest at March Air Reserve Base in California. This 2-day event on March 22nd and 23rd will feature the usual suspects of air shows, static aircraft displays, and other attractions. This years notable performers are the US Navy Blue Angles. If you’ve never seen them before then you better make it a point to! The performance is simply mind-boggling with the high speed, close proximity maneuvers, that will dazzle your eyes. Check it out.
- Not a Stuck Mic AvCast VIP yet? Sign up today and get all of our awesome content delivered your email inbox and never miss an update again. Go ahead, we’ll wait
- Shout out to Lora, Richard, and the entire Aviation Universe gang for supporting this episode. We love having you on the team!
After Landing Checklist
~ Picks Of The Week ~