Today’s interview is without a doubt the most UNIQUE and CRAZY story we’ve shared on the podcast yet! A while back one of our listeners sent us an email after hearing a guy tell the story of his homemade flying lawn chair adventure at a local EAA chapter meeting. Curiosity got the best of us so we reached out to this flying lawn chair aviator and asked him to come on the show.
The story of Joe Barbera includes his inspiration behind the flying lawn chair, trials and tribulations of building the homemade craft, launch day challenges and why he left everything (including his shoes and toilet paper) behind, intentions to break world records, crash landing in the trees, and so much more. This episode is not to be missed!
Without further ado we bring to you Flying Lawn Chairs and Crash Landings with Joe Barbera.
Don’t forget to share this episode by clicking that Like, Share, Tweet button to spread the love!
- California Capital Air Show – The California Capital Airshow at Mather Airport on October 5th and 6th, 2013 promises, “spine-tingling performances including an international jet team, the Snowbirds, jet demonstrations, world-class aerobatics, wingsuit flyers, barnstorming, wing walking, and endless entertainment and displays along the ramp.”
- Georgetown-Scott County Aviation Festival – On September 14th, 2013 the gates open for this Kentucky aviation festival featuring static aircraft displays, B-25 and Huey rides, skydiver demonstrations, antique tractors, and more! Sorry, no whiskey or bourbon until after the show.
- Stuck Mic AvCast Blog Posts – Some new additions to the website – Stuck Mic? There’s a Message For That! and Quick Guide to Air Traffic Control Facility Guides. Check those out for some reading enjoyment!
- Meet Joe Barbera
- Inspiration for flying lawn chair
- “Lawnchair Larry” Walters (first lawn chair pilot)
- Goal for distance world record
- FAA regulations
- Finding the perfect lawn chair
- Building the craft
- Rolling with the punches
- Soaring over Washintgon
- Introduction to Cluster Ballooning
- Crash landing
- Handing from the trees
- Building your own flying lawn chair
- Dealing with air traffic
- What it’s like soaring over 21,000ft
- Paratrooper experience
- Hypoxia dangers
- Preventing uncontrolled ascent
- Lawn Chair Pilots website
- Like Lawn Chair Pilots on Facebook
- Contact Joe via Email
After Landing Checklist
~ Picks of The Week ~
No Picks of the Week were included in this interview episode.
Subscribe to Our Enhanced Podcast Feed in iTunes